Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Novelist, by Angela Hunt

Review by Jen Nofziger


In The Novelist, Angela Hunt writes of Jordan Casey Kerrigan, a wildly successful author struggling with her grown, alcoholic son who appears to be spiraling out of control. In the midst of this, Jordan Casey Kerrigan undertakes a new task, teaching college students how to write their first novel. Here, she finds she has the opportunity to learn more than she could possibly teach. Challenged by an ornery student, confronting her faith as it relates to her work, and trying to reach her son, Jordan decides to create an allegory that she hopes will portray the love of God and his plans for his people.

According to her website, Angela Hunt has more than 100 titles to her credit. As far as I can remember, I have not read any of her books before this one. I am definitely going to read some more! I didn't want this book to end. I was drawn to the characters and to their stories. The story within the story is so well written; creatively and clearly sharing the author's vision of who she believes her God to be and what he is capable of. Between the two stories, we, along with the protagonists, explore faith, sovereignty, free will, creation, and creator.

Hunt shares many amazing truths about God in this story. One of my favorites is when the “creator” meets her creation and realizes what she has learned about her creator:

“You know what? I used to think the creator tested me to discover how strong I was. Lately, though, I've begun to realize he has an entirely different purpose in mind. The author of my life knows everything about me, so he already knows how strong I am. The tests come to me – and to you – so we know how strong the creator is when he carries us through what we can't handle alone.”

Hunt writes of an author who writes a story where she can work her will, as the creator, and develop her characters. In the end, she is reminded that her creator has done the same. A great lesson for us all. Sometimes we need to learn it, and sometimes we need to learn it again. This book is a delightful way to be reminded.

2 comments:

  1. I abosolutely LOVED this book! Wow. Thanks for the well written review. That really is a great quote from the book too. Profound, when we think of who we are, who He is, and who He is in us. How great to be connected so intimately with our Creator. How great is our God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought this book was well done. What a "novel" mix of entertainment and education!

    ReplyDelete